Mission Statement

The purpose of this blog is to deconstruct the rhetoric and strategies of faculty union advocates at the University of Illinois. A consequential decision like this must be based on facts, not spin. Right now only one side of the argument is being presented to faculty. This blog represents the other side of the argument.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Information on Revoking a Signed Statement or Authorization Card 

You may revoke any union authorization card you have signed by simply signing a letter, card, petition, or other document stating that you do not support the union, or that you support another union. Under the National Labor Relations Board's "dual card" doctrine, it is well-established that when an employee signs two documents with conflicting statements of union support — for example, signing a card both for and against union representation — then neither document is a valid proof of the employee's representational preference. See Parkwood Developmental Center Inc., 347 N.L.R.B. No. 95 (2006); Le Marquis Hotel, LLC, 340 N.L.R.B. No. 64 (2003). Quite simply, the two documents cancel each other out. 

Under the "dual card" doctrine, you do not need to communicate your opposition to union representation to the union, or to your employer, to render your prior union authorization card invalid as a matter of law. However, if you do not inform the union or your employer that you have revoked the union authorization card that you signed, there is a possibility that the union or employer may count you as a union supporter during any card count (even though your card is invalid as a matter of law).

Thus, if you wish to revoke a union authorization card, you should notify in writing both the union and your employer that you are doing so to ensure that your representational preference is known. You should send a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, so that you have proof of delivery; and you should keep a copy for your records. 

If you have any questions, contact the Public Information Officer of the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board (312-793-3170). 

Here is a sample letter:

[Send by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested]

To: President, Campus Faculty Association
University YMCA
1001 S. Wright St, #6
Champaign IL 61820-6225 

To Whom it May Concern:

I hereby revoke and rescind any union "authorization" card, or any other indication of support for your union, that I may have signed in the past. Any such card or indication of support for your union is null and void, effective immediately.

Please return to me any union authorization card that I may have signed. Also, please inform me in writing that you are honoring this revocation and rescission of support for your union.

Please be aware that refusing to honor my revocation and rescission will violate my rights under the National Labor Relations Act. Moreover, representing to my employer (or any third party or "arbitrator") that I support representation by your union will similarly violate my legal rights.



cc: Steven A. Veazie, Deputy University Counsel and Executive Director of Labor Relations
University of Illinois
258 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright St.
Urbana IL 61801